(…or any other BBC programme penned by someone like Russel T Davies, Steven Moffat or Mark Gatiss, for that matter.)
It’s the fans of the shows themselves.
Do a search for “Sherlock” or “Doctor Who” or “Torchwood” in the bar up top. The posts and comments and analysis…in fact, the general community attached to top-notch British sci-fi/fantasy programmes is just the best damn thing to be a part of.
- The best taste in television (an obvious one, yes, but oh-so true).
- The best goddamn in-jokes (from “Allons-y Alonzo!” to “Ripping off my clothes in a darkened swimming pool?” to “Hello Sweetie”), which are literally incomprehensible if you don’t watch the shows yourself.
- The best writing on television, scripts that literally dazzle and sparkle with character and wit and instant quotability.
- The ability to make bow-ties cool. And floppy curly mullets. And trench coats. Just about anything unfashionable, really.
- The best ideas on television, from murderous cabbies to the Weeping Angels.
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman in a pseudo-homoerotic affair that is guaranteed to spark more fanfiction than sanity itself would allow.
- Lots of running. Always with the running.
- Matt Smith. In a fez.
- The TARDIS and the Daleks — iconic doesn’t cover it.
- Gods like Richard Curtis, James Moran or the three gents mentioned way up top writing episodes for us on a weekly basis.
- A man who plays the violin terribly and shoots holes in smiley faces on walls.
- David Tennant. ‘Nuff said.
- A nine-hundred year old humanoid alien with a robot dog.
- Episodes with the pulling power to get someone like Kylie Minogue as an extra, and then kill her off, or Bill Nighy, and have him in for only five minutes, or even Alex Kingston, and make her one of the most interesting reoccurring characters in recent memory.
- Lots of WTF moments and unbearable cliffhangers.
- Lots of blogging and ranting on forums in the week space of time between cliffhanger episodes.
- Captain Cheesecake…sorry, Beefcake. Sorry. Jack Harkness.
- Severed heads in fridges.
- Martin Freeman in a cardigan.
- Text messages, with floating holographic text.
- Raxacorricofallapatorius. Yes, I bloody remembered that.
You see, I really could go on forever here (and I would, were it not for the fact that I really need to get some shut eye before tomorrow), but I can guarantee you fans of the shows will have skimmed through that list and remembered something, or smiled about something, or (most likely) gone “oh my god, why did you make me think about the bloody Weeping Angels…no sleep for me tonight”.
But that’s the thing! These shows bind us all together, because they’re created out of love and loyalty…and that’s exactly what they inspire.
Hello post of complete truth~
Here’s a giant version of the coolest awesomeface in all of time and space, if anyone wants it! :) The bow tie is photoshopped straight from The Doctor himself! (Unfortunately not the Fez as I could not find a good clear shot of it online but it works right?)
I’d be this happy if I had a Fez too
Can’t sleep, giant vulture thing might eat me… Here, kiddles, gaze upon the cover of the upcoming book of the upcoming Sarah Jane Adventures show featuring the 11th Doctor. I particularly like the comment at the site about how the giant bird is “the Black Guardian’s hat come to take revenge.”